quinta-feira, 10 de junho de 2010


Tower of Song

Leonard Cohen
 
Well my friends are gone and my hair is grey,

I ache in the places where I used to play
And I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on.
I'm just paying my rent every day in the Tower of Song
I said to Hank Williams "How lonely does it get?"
Hank Williams . . . hasn't answered yet,
But I hear him coughing all night long,
A hundred floors above me in the Tower of Song.
I was born like this, I had no choice.
I was born with the gift of a golden voice,
And twenty-seven angels from the Great Beyond.
They tied me to this table right here in the Tower of Song.
So you can stick your little pins in that voodoo doll;
I'm very sorry, baby, doesn't look like me at all.
I'm standing by the window where the light is strong.
Ah they don't let a woman kill you, not in the Tower of Song.
Now you can say that I've grown bitter
but of this you may be sure:
The rich have got their channels in
the bedrooms of the poor.
And there's a mighty judgement coming,
But I may be wrong;
You see, I hear these funny voices
In the Tower of Song.
I see you standing on the other side,
I don't know how the river got so wide.
I loved you baby, way back when;
And all the bridges are burning that we might have crossed,
But I feel so close to everything that we lost,
We'll never have to lose it again.
Now I bid you farewell, I don't know when I'll be back;
They're moving us tomorrow to that tower down the track,
But you'll be hearing from me baby, long after I'm gone.
I'll be speaking to you sweetly, from a window in the Tower of Song.
Yeah my friends are gone and my hair is grey,
I ache in the places where I used to play,
And I'm crazy for love but I'm not coming on.
I'm just paying my rent every day in the Tower of Song.

Nenhum comentário: